From: <K5OE@aol.com>
To: <lee-fl@cfl.rr.com>
Cc: <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 5:18 AM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] AO-40 QSO Party Telemetry Data

> Lee,
> This is excellent data, well presented and easy to follow.
>
> Your comments, "The result is..." is right on the money.  For a few hours
on Sunday the transponder was all but unusable to any "legal" stations.  In
fact, I attempted to run an AO-40 Beacon + 20 Net, but the + 20 frequency
was occupied by one European station running about 3 dB above the beacon and
5 kHz up was another European station holding court at exactly beacon
strength.  I attempted to split the difference between them, but my signal
was so weak coming back that very few people could hear (or find) me--I was
running about 400 W ERPc and was easily at least 20 dB below the beacon!
After just a few check-ins (thanks!), I gave up.  Three hours later, when
the satellite was no longer over Europe, later my signal was great.  I am
not picking on the European stations, because most of the big guns in NA and
SA (some really STRONG stations there also) went to do other things when the
European DX window closed.