Re: receiving system design tradeoffs

on 2/5/03 7:54 PM, Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 at faunt@panix.com
wrote:

> I believe that a 3' aluminum dish that was perforated properly would
> give just as much gain as a solid dish of that size, but would be much
> lighter in both weight and windload.  Now, if we could easily locate
> such.

It's a question I've thought of and with living in a warm climate, you are
OK.  But for those of us who live where we have snow and ice, a perforated
dish isn't going to offer much help during the winter...

One interesting thing though about BBQ grill type dishes I've heard is that
with snow and ice on them their windloading is actually GREATER than a solid
dish.  I had the systems engineering manager for a cellular telephone
company tell me that once.  Can anyone back up his claim?

73,

Jon
NA9D
Jon Ogden