Re: receiving system design tradeoffs

on 2/5/03 7:21 PM, Frederick M. Spinner at fspinner@hotmail.com wrote:

> Your 23" G3RUH is at least a 6dB better setup than a BBQ, so my point still
> remains here.  It's a money versus time versus mechanics
> issue.

Fred,

How is this the case?

I assume the following:

BBQ: 36" x 24"
Feed: Linear, dipole

G3RUH: 23" in diameter
Feed: CP, patch

At best, you should see a 3 dB improvement with the change from linear to
CP.  I suppose you will also see some improvement as the pattern of the
patch is probably better than that of the dipole feed on the BBQ.  The BBQ
should have a little more gain in the sense that it has more area than the
G3RUH.

So balance it out and I can't find where that extra 3 dB comes in.

Help.

Jon

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)