Re: BBQ Grill Blues

on 2/5/03 7:49 PM, Andrew Glasbrenner at glasbrenner@mindspring.com wrote:

>> What will I do, what will I do
>> James and Drew say I can¹t hear poo!
>
> You can't hear as well as with a larger dish with the same converter. I
> can't tell you how many people I've talked to from behind the booth at a
> hamfest, or on email, or on a LEO who has said they have given up on AO-40
> because it is so hard to hear. The common thread? All on BBQ dishes. A lot
> of former or potential members move on to something else.

Drew,

I will try to keep this calm.

I never said that a bigger dish wouldn't help.  Your claim was that people
using BBQ dishes can't hear.  Period.  You blamed them for the issue of high
power levels.

Part of the discussion revolved around being able to hear the beacon.  If
you look at the GM3YRE spreadsheet, the beacon will still be above the noise
floor with a 1.7 dB NF front end and an 8 dBi antenna!!!

With a 24 dBi BBQ dish (what TranSystems specs the 3 x 2 dish as), there is
about 20 dB of difference between the beacon and the noise floor.  No, you
aren't not hearing the noise floor of the transponder.  That's correct.
Changing to a CP feed will improve a bit.  Going to a bigger dish with
another 2 or 3 dB of gain will indeed get you to the noise floor.

My point is still just as valid:  That if a station with a BBQ dish runs 10
dB below the beacon he can do just fine.  You told me I was off base.  I
don't think so.  If I look at the spreadsheet and enter my uplink power of
what I usually run (about 6 to 8 W into 40 elements), I am about 15 dB below
the beacon.

And again, I hear fine.  But yet according to you, I don't.  No, I don't
hear the guys 30 and 40 dB down.  That's true.  But one does not have to.

People give up on AO-40 because they want it to sound like their local
repeater.  Either that or they don't know how to point a dish or they
haven't successfully developed their downconverter.  Period.

>> In rides Jon on a white horse
>> I hope he doesn¹t talk in Morse.
>> Jon types and types with all his might
>> Even against three he puts up a good fight.
>
> If you think so...I sort of think he got his nose out of joint defending an
> undefendable practice...being beacon level.

No, Drew, you assert I was doing that.  The thing I took heat for was making
a comment about Robert's strong L-band signal.  You slammed me for that.
Just like you slammed me the day the beacon didn't come on as expected and I
made a post about perhaps it having to do something with its particular
orientation to the earth at that point in the orbit.  I never suggested that
ANYONE run beacon level.  My point was that with a really good antenna while
running minimum power possible it may be difficult to be below the beacon.
I also corrected myself later to say that Robert was not at beacon level but
somewhat below.  Perhaps he was 5 or 6 dB below.  I don't know.

And to the station who wrote the poem:  Your "typing all night" line is
inaccurate.  My posts were during the day.  :-)

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden