Re: Gene's Spreadsheet (was: AO-40 Lids)

Jon,

Not to beat a dead horse, but that's about right.  If the beacon is 20 dB
above the noise floor it'll seem really strong.  So by
"definition" a station following the "rules" will be at about 10 dB above
the noise floor for you.  Right?!?

But a SSB signal is hard to copy at 6dB (this is considered to be the
minimum for a good operator) above the floor, and only "acceptable" at 10db.
  (Minimum for an "average Joe" to copy)

Getting your receive system up another 6 dB will get you to hearing the SSB
stations well (or "strong" like the beacon-- 16db S/N or so).  Like I said,
from needing a good operator (read: headache) to copy the SSB stations at
the proper power level to "armchair" copy.

With CW 3db is good enough for copy.. 6dB sounds strong... use this as a
reference when listening next time.

If your are following the math I think you can see the point here!

Is the communication systems theory starting to become clear now?  I'm
really not insane-- here are the #'s that coincide with reality here if you
think about it.

If you hear a station that is "strong" on your setup, they, by definition
are running too much power.  I wish it wasn't true and the BBQ's would work
really well, it'd make my Yaesu G5500 a lot happier...

Fred W0FMS