Re: receiving system design tradeoffs

   From: "Frederick M. Spinner" <fspinner@hotmail.com>
   Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 01:21:33 +0000

   >  A smaller dish is more likely to be suitable for a Yaesu az-el rotor, and
   >doesn't require as elaborate a mounting structure.

   And herein lies one of the real problems we face, that the Yaesu rotors are
   really too light duty to do what they are supposed to do.
   Again, I have one, and I paid $525 for new (which was a screaming deal).
   Again, $75 TVRO actuators beat the pants off of the Yaesus.

   I'll end up using that rotor at least initially since it's easier to do.
   But man,  it is weakly built to be as expensive as it is...but I think
   a 3' offset would work if you limited the max operating windspeed, balanced
   it well, and pointed the system straight up when not using it.

I believe that a 3' aluminum dish that was perforated properly would
give just as much gain as a solid dish of that size, but would be much
lighter in both weight and windload.  Now, if we could easily locate
such.

I'd love to have one to upgrade my G3RUH setup.

73, doug