Re: How i try to not be too loud on AO-40

Similar to what I do.  I always peak up the beacon first and that way I know
I am pointing properly.  And I'll know if it's even worth me trying to work
the bird.

Perhaps that's another problem of some of the people who are not hearing
properly or are clobbering the beacon.  It could be they just point their
antennas where their tracking program tells them.  With even a small dish,
you don't have to be off by much in each axis to drastically reduce the
received signal level.  If they don't look for the beacon and peak to it
manually before trying to downlink, they may not hear well at all.....

I find the beacon to be an awesome way to help me make sure I am properly
pointed...

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 2/4/03 8:14 PM, Luc Leblanc (VE2DWE) at luclebla@sorel-tracy.qc.ca wrote:

> I developped this unique and ultra scientific way to adjust my ERP to be below
> the 10 db beacon level Its
> not fool proof because LEILA hit me times to times but it help to not be too
> loud and triggering the AGC.
>
> 1- I note the beacon signal
> 2-I choose a clear spot away from MB
> 3-I adjust my power to be at 10 DB below the MB signal noted at point 1
>
> I called that the 123 method. You will see if you dont have a good receiving
> set-up leila will hit you not
> because she dont like you but to simply to tell you that if it is the only one
> way that you can hear your
> downlink signal its probably an indication of a lack of receiving
> capabilities.
>
> I repeat its not an fool proof method squint AGC U or L, traffic over the
> satellite should also be taken in
> account but this method is better than nothing else and its KISS.
> Luc Leblanc VE2DWE (AMSAT 33583)
> Coordonnateur AMSAT pour le Québec
> Quebec AMSAT coordinator
> SITES WEB:http://www.sorel-tracy.qc.ca/~luclebla/