Re: Re: TS-2000X

I never said that a BBQ doesn't cut it.  I said it was marginal.  When you
finally decide to try a 3'-4' solid dish with a CP
feed you'll find your BBQ in pieces behind the garage like mine is.  I paid
good money for the BBQ.   I got the dishes for free.
What I'm trying to preach here is that 10dB more signal for less money but a
little more effort in mounting is worth it.

What we are trying to tell you is:  try the bigger dish.  You will not want
to go back.  In the meantime, of course use what you
have and understand it's features and limitations.

The only thing keeping BBQ's alive is the crappy Yaesu rotors we all use.
And yes I have one.  I can't believe I paid $525 for
the thing when a $75 TVRO actuator is built 15x better.

In my setup the beacon was a loud S-3.  That places stations at S-1 to S-1.5
in SSB.  At the noise floor, workable but not great. (I'd get a headache
after an hour or two)  Going to the 4' dish the beacon on the same equipment
was S-7 to S-9.  The SSB stations are at S-3 to S-5. (Noise at about S-0 on
the 4'... I never heard it on the BBQ)   Actually it's like using your local
repeater at that point.  And yes, there is that much difference.  You are
probably doing better than I was with your BBQ because you have a good
converter like a SSB... I use
junk because I can...

AO-40 was designed to work with your BBQ.  We've has some unfortunate luck,
as well as much fortunate luck.   Having a little
receive buffer is a good thing.  I disagreed with G3RUH about that "any dish
larger than one that picks up the noise floor is wasted" comment from years
ago, but in any system a little overkill is a good thing.  Planning for
contingiencies is a good thing...

Fred W0FMS