Re: Re: TS-2000X

on 2/4/03 6:04 PM, kevin schuchmann at kschuchm@pacbell.net wrote:

> Jon chill out, no one is slamming you, but your making really bold statements
> that are wrong wrong wrong...
> people are telling you that you cant hear because we have been there... have
> owned your setup and have moved on
> try and learn from that experience...

Kevin,

What has my goat is the guy who got on here and said that the guys with the
BBQ dishes can't hear.  They can't hear the beacon or anyone else and they
can't hear stations on the bird.

I replied back that his statement was a fallacy and that I hear the beacon
just fine and that if there are people calling CQ on top of the beacon, they
must have some other serious problems.  I replied that I have no problems
being and working stations that are 10 dB or better under the beacon.

Yet, I am told I don't know what the hell I am talking about and that I
should just trash my system.

That's what has pissed me off.

So let's get things straight here and let me state it for the record:

1.) I believe and try to hold to running 10 dB below the beacon.
2.) If I cannot hear the beacon well enough to be able to hear myself 10 dB
below, I don't get on.  Call it a limitation of my setup.  That's fine.
3.) I run about 150 to 200 W EIRP (estimated) and hear myself just fine.
4.) I plan on working on and improving my setup for receive.  I want better
SNR and better margin.
5.) I AM happily surprised at how well the BBQ dish does work considering
all the negative press about it.  It is adequate.

Jon
Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Life Member: ARRL, NRA