Re: Re: TS-2000X

Looking back at my statement, perhaps he wasn't as loud as the beacon.  No,
he wasn't. I misspoke.  Yet he was not 10 dB below it for sure.  Maybe 3 dB
to 4 dB (and if there's only 2 or 3 people on the satellite who cares!  It's
not like it's going to hurt it!)  I was impressed with his setup.  I was
amazed that at 1/4 Watt out of his radio was all he needed.

Yet, no one else is impressed with this but me.  Everyone has crucified this
guy who is pretty well known on AO-40 I think because he has a loud signal.
I thought one purpose of being in ham radio was to put together a good
station, the best station possible.

It's just amazing how the Boy Scouts on this list tend to crucify people
that they don't know a lot about.  Makes me ashamed to even be part of
satellites.  Guess these are the same people who have always wanted to make
sat ops a little "club" for only those with the right equipment.  I
obviously don't have it since I'm being told I can't hear well with my
setup.  Guess my own experience and ears just don't count for anything and I
should bow in humble adoration to their more knowledgeable views.

Jon

on 2/4/03 9:07 AM, Reicher, James at JReicher@hrblock.com wrote:

> Jon, since good operating practice is to be about 3-6 dB weaker than the
> beacon, if a station is as loud as the beacon, they are using too much
> power.  No ifs, ands, or buts.  The sensitivity of the L band receiver just
> means the station should be using lower power.
>
> 73 de N8AU, Jim in Raymore, MO

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Life Member: ARRL, NRA