Re: Re: TS-2000X

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Ogden" <na9d-2@speakeasy.net>
To: "kevin schuchmann" <kschuchm@pacbell.net>; "Amsat BB" <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 4:42 AM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Re: TS-2000X

> on 2/4/03 12:50 AM, kevin schuchmann at kschuchm@pacbell.net wrote:
>
> > Not guilty??...give me a break... you dont need a 14 foot dish to uplink to
> > AO40 on L band, if you use one fine... if your beacon
> > level turn it down, cant go any lower? then DUH guess you shouldnt be using a
> > 14 foot dish on uplink and yes you are guilty.....
> > ever hear of a attenuator???
>
> Gee, perhaps the guy has one setup for EME and AO-40.  It's not so easy to
> add attenuation in just one path.

and how is that ao40's problem????? its the operators problem...
this is almost a social issue... everything is someone elses problem these days... not mine...

> > and from what I have seen both sides are guilty...  so I wouldnt go finger
> > pointing .....
>
> Oh yeah, I'm one of those people who are running a BBQ dish.  I'm not
> supposed to be able to hear well....Yet, I hear fine.  Work stations all the
> time when squints are above 20 degrees.

I have had a bbq grill, 50 element looper, 3 foot dish ,4.5 foot dish, and 6 foot dish....
maybe your not hearing as well  as you think you are.... I know that my receive setup
is so much better than when I started, yet I had plenty of qso's on the bbq
depending on which antenna I'm using I get 6-9 db of xpondr noise and the
 beacon is 18-21 db above that

> > the root problem here is most cant HEAR squat.... which is obvious by people
> > calling cq on top of the beacon on top of other qso's
> > man I wish I had a dime for every time I have heard two beacon class stations
> > asking each other to repeat something cause they cant
> > HEAR...
>
> In my experience on AO-40, I find VERY few people running anywhere near the
> beacon.  Supposedly, the "experts" say that a BBQ dish doesn't cut it.
> Well, it does.  I get the beacon very loud and can work stations down to the
> noise floor.  Most stations are a couple dB above the noise floor but they
> are WAY more than 10 dB below the beacon.  I've never heard anyone calling
> CQ on top of the beacon.  It's so loud, I can't believe anyone with any kind
> of S band antenna can't hear it.

I have heard cq on the beacon... have reported it to the irc channel and others have heard it...
and it has happened more than once...  would you like callsigns???

> Have I tripped Leila before?  Yes, I have.  But yet, I've done it when
> running only a few watts.  Oh yeah, shame on me.  40 elements on the UHF
> uplink is too many.  Leila, IMHO, tends to trip sometimes when it shouldn't.
> We all know that.  So while it's a good judge of your power, it's not 100%
> reliable either.  The vast majority of stations on AO-40 do a very decent
> job of staying below the beacon.  Yes, the L-band guys are generally
> stronger, but that's not necessarily their fault.  The L-band receiver on
> the satellite just tends to work better.

Jon its entirely their fault, I can run my U or L from the noise floor to beacon level
I'm in control of my station... I really disagree that its not their fault if they are too strong...

73's
Kevin
WA6FWF