Re: Re: TS-2000X

on 2/4/03 12:50 AM, kevin schuchmann at kschuchm@pacbell.net wrote:

> Not guilty??...give me a break... you dont need a 14 foot dish to uplink to
> AO40 on L band, if you use one fine... if your beacon
> level turn it down, cant go any lower? then DUH guess you shouldnt be using a
> 14 foot dish on uplink and yes you are guilty.....
> ever hear of a attenuator???

Gee, perhaps the guy has one setup for EME and AO-40.  It's not so easy to
add attenuation in just one path.

> and from what I have seen both sides are guilty...  so I wouldnt go finger
> pointing .....

Oh yeah, I'm one of those people who are running a BBQ dish.  I'm not
supposed to be able to hear well....Yet, I hear fine.  Work stations all the
time when squints are above 20 degrees.

> the root problem here is most cant HEAR squat.... which is obvious by people
> calling cq on top of the beacon on top of other qso's
> man I wish I had a dime for every time I have heard two beacon class stations
> asking each other to repeat something cause they cant
> HEAR...

In my experience on AO-40, I find VERY few people running anywhere near the
beacon.  Supposedly, the "experts" say that a BBQ dish doesn't cut it.
Well, it does.  I get the beacon very loud and can work stations down to the
noise floor.  Most stations are a couple dB above the noise floor but they
are WAY more than 10 dB below the beacon.  I've never heard anyone calling
CQ on top of the beacon.  It's so loud, I can't believe anyone with any kind
of S band antenna can't hear it.

Have I tripped Leila before?  Yes, I have.  But yet, I've done it when
running only a few watts.  Oh yeah, shame on me.  40 elements on the UHF
uplink is too many.  Leila, IMHO, tends to trip sometimes when it shouldn't.
We all know that.  So while it's a good judge of your power, it's not 100%
reliable either.  The vast majority of stations on AO-40 do a very decent
job of staying below the beacon.  Yes, the L-band guys are generally
stronger, but that's not necessarily their fault.  The L-band receiver on
the satellite just tends to work better.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden