Re:Guilty S-Banders (was: TS-2000X)

Being able to do something and then doing it (or not!) are two different
things, aren't they. I hear very well since following Robert's (W0LMD)
preachings about building patch antennas and using the dish antenna I had. I
use the same antenna for transmit. I use the rig only with no external
amplifiers. I set my receive attenuator so that my noise floor coincides
with S0 on my 910H. Consistently I see the beacon as S9 under these
conditions. I set my transmit level at 1/2 to 2/3 this level.

Conditions change during the time I have to operate and I have to peak up
the antenna and make other adjustments, including power adjustments. It's
not a set and forget bird for me. I have had a QSO or two on the bird but
have yet to hear anyone tell me my signal was too strong. I monitor the
beacon on the other VFO so I KNOW how strong my signal is.

The problem, as most of you know, is that there are many on AO-40 who are
just not hearing all that well.

If I were to be stronger than the suggested level, my feelings wouldn't be
hurt if someone suggested QRP. Hell, that would be a compliment! Are we, as
a group, caught up in this political correctness disease so much that we are
afraid to pass on suggestions regarding another ops signal for fear of
"offending" them.

Better too much than too little, the only crime is to be inadequate and
other Macho homilies ...

If anyone hears me on the satellite and sees that I'm not paying as much
attention to levels as I should, PLEASE, don't be scared: let me know! I'm
real easy to get along with despite what my XYL might say 8-)