More: Re: Re: TS-2000X

Didn't mean to send this the first time.  Wasn't finished!  :-)

-----------

on 2/3/03 4:10 PM, Reicher, James at JReicher@hrblock.com wrote:

> Ah HA!!!  One of the guilty L banders speaks!
>
> 73 de N8AU, Jim in Raymore, MO

It's amazing how quickly people rush to call the L-banders "guilty."
:-)

I worked W0LMD a few nights ago.  He has a 14 foot dish he uses on the
uplink.  He was as loud as the beacon.  He was only using about a quarter
watt.  If one has a good uplink antenna and is running the minimum power
they can, they should not be called "guilty."

The facts are, IMHO, that from the little I've seen of AO-40 that the L band
receiver is much better in performance than the U band receiver.

But a friend and I were talking and perhaps for a future satellite, we can
eliminate the concept of alligators or people running too much power all
together.

Even if we run standard, analog SSB signals (ie: not digital voice), the
satellite could have a DSP on board that would literally equalize every
signal in the passband and apply equal downlink power for every signal.  In
the DSP world this is entirely possible.  A guy that runs 100 W into a 14
foot dish would have the exact same signal strength as a guy who is running
5 Watts into 40 elements on U band.  Of course, there has to be a bottom
limit that it would have as you couldn't take a signal at the satellite's
noise floor and then necessarily amplify it to make it like the bigger
ones...or could you....Anyhow, I guess the key to all this would be to get
rad-hardened DSPs that could handle it.

It's an interesting idea to say the least.

73,

Jon
NA9D
Jon Ogden