Re: Direct Tv Dish

on 2/3/03 8:15 AM, Art Goldman at aegoldm@lts.ncsc.mil wrote:

> A friend gave me a Direct TV dish to try on AO-40.
>
> So, I bent a piece of 1/8" aluminum bar to match the
> mounting angles
> of the original feed assembly, and have a TSI3731 with a
> homemade patch
> antenna attached, ready to pipe clamp to the mount.
>
> Has anyone else done this and determined the optimum
> distance from the patch to the dish surface?

Art,

AFAIK, the focal point of the dish doesn't change with frequency.  So put
the patch at the same point as the direct TV LNB feed.

Let us know how it works.  I have one that has been sitting in a box in my
garage for several years now.  I bought it to use on S-band before I got my
BBQ dish.  According to what I know, the 18" dishes are a little to low in
gain for good use on S-band.

They would make a perfect C band and X band up/down antenna, but
unfortunately, those components don't work any more on AO-40.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden