RE: NWS radar Columbia plume

Extremely interesting radar data.  The large area of reflectivity at the end of the loop that actually appears to be moving North of the trajectory would indicate lighter, smaller pieces being blown by upper level winds.  What were the winds aloft at this point?  Can the NWS data stream reveal anything about altitude?  Give that thunderstorms top out at 60K feet or so I had no idea NWS radar could provide data from a 100-200K feet range.

Also interesting is how reflective the material is.  The base level seems to be about +4dBZ and is much higher at the peak.

I wonder if there is any data from sites more to the West and North?  I understand weather radar coverage is not as good over the Rocky Mtns, but how about over the Owens Valley, where that CalTech astronomer made what were perhaps the first observations of problems?

Dave Reinhart
wa6ilt@amsat.org
"May their souls be bound up in the bond of life eternal, and let us say, amen."