Cheap yagi tuning problems

I've built myself a WA5VJB-design yagi for 435 MHz according to the
plans at http://www.clarc.org/Articles/uhf.htm
Just linear for now (horizontal).

However I'm having a devil of a time tuning it. Although I can get a
resistive part of around 50 ohms I have a reactive part of around -50
ohms as well. Moving the feed point along the driven element changes
things but the SWR never gets very low. Closest to the boom it is 2:1 or
so.

Any suggestions for tuning up this antenna? I believe my element lengths
and spacing are reasonably accurate.

thanks,
Hamish