Re: AO-10 Heard in ITALY

At 03:13 PM 1/24/03 -0600, Ryan Butler wrote:
>On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 06:26, Rocco IK8XLD wrote:
>> Hi,
>> this morning I have listened ao-10 beacon on the frequency of 145.807
>> at  10:20 UTC.
>> The signal was very weak but clearly audible.
>> I have tried the transponder but no answer.
>> ___________________________________
>
>Could you give a little more information please?  Did you hear the
>beacon the whole time you listened or was it like was suggested that you
>had to listen for a 1/2 hour and wait for the beacon to come to you?
>How long were you able to hear it?  What type of antenna setup do you
>have?  Trying the transponder with no answer, does that mean you heard
>your own downlink and no one answered you or that you couldn't hear your
>own downlink?
>
>Thanks!
>
>--
>Ryan Butler <rbutler@tsss.org>
>TSSS.ORG

Good questions Ryan.  Not doubting your sincerity, Rocco, but I wonder if
maybe you were hearing a computer "birdie" or other signal instead of the
beacon.  It is my understanding the telemetry stream quit quite some time
ago and only a carrier is heard of the beacon.  I have tried to hear it
several times and only picked up a carrier to find it was there when I
off-pointed the antennas away from the satellite (meaning it wasn't the
beacon).

If I get a chance this weekend I will try to hear it using my four
20-element crossed eme-yagis.  If it can be heard this will hear it!   I
may get my 435-50w PA back installed and try either AO-40 or AO-7 (mode-B).
 Depends on (Alaska winter) weather and energy (mine)!  I have two
presentations to put together this weekend so???

73, Ed - AL7EB