Re: dish paint

on 1/24/03 11:07 AM, n8anr@juno.com at n8anr@juno.com wrote:

> I have a question concerning the type of paint for my aluminum dish.  I
> purchased a can of green zinc oxide primer and then a can of flat white enamal
> to go over it.  The question is..........  will the zinc in the paint be a
> problem for the electrical characteristics of the dish.  I have heard people
> comment on 'not using metalic paint on the dish'.  I would appreciate any
> helpful suggestion before I get started on the project.  I need to have it
> ready for spring !

I don't know why metallic paint would be a problem....

After all, the dish is metallic itself and the metallic properties are what
cause reflection of the RF signal.

The only thing I can think of is that the metallic paint could consist of
small metallic particles.  These particles may not necessarily form a
uniform surface and thereby cause scattering.  But at 2.4 GHz, the
wavelengths are long enough that I don't think that's an issue.  Different
story maybe at K band.....

I had to drill some holes in my BBQ dish to mount it to my boom.  I used
metallic type paint to paint over it to prevent rust.  Works just fine.  The
silver metallic stuff was the only spray can that I could find in the garage
that worked!

73,

Jon
NA9D