Re: AO40 squint

Frank Cahoy wrote:

I was able to work several Europeans before MA 210.  At that point the
elevation, for me,was about 6 degrees and the squint was at 36.5 degrees.
The most abnormal thing I noted was just before MA 210 my own downlink was
at the very least 10 db above where it was at 22 degrees of squint.

Wayne replies:

Not only was the range dropping rapidly, you were also getting into a
sidelobe of the AO40 S2 helix antenna.  I think it's common for signals to
be stronger at 35 degrees squint than at 25 degrees squint.  Somebody
probably has a plot of the S2 antenna pattern posted on a web site
somewhere.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA