RE: AIDC 3733 downconverter cold weather problems

Hello Jon

> The question is if that frequency shift from Doppler or is it a
combination
> of both the Doppler and temp drift from the crystal.  I have assumed that
> with the downconverter powered 24/7 that at a given temperature (or in a
> small range), you won't see a lot of drift.  Over larger temperature
ranges,
> yes, I would expect to see a drift.

Leaving it on will certainly improve stability, but the effects of wind,
rain and/or temperature will change the LO of the d/c too. I've heard of
folks using silver foil and/or thermal insulation as well as leaving it on
all the time.

But bear in mind that the LO on the spacecraft itself also drifts around
upto about 5kHz...

73 Howard G6LVB