Re: Farewell SO-43 -- SK tonight

Tom (via amsat-bb for info of all)

W3IWI wrote:
> Tonite sees the re-entry of a very interesting amateur satellite -- SO-43
> (21 Jan 2003 @ 04:37 UTC, in the Pacific west of Costa Rica).
>
> Launched September 30, 2001 from the Kodiak Launch Complex on Kodiak Island,
> Alaska aboard Athena I. Orbit: 500 km, 67 degree circular.
>
> Starshine 3 is nearly a meter in diameter (37 inches), weighs 91 kilograms

Stupid question:
Maybe I'm missing something here ... but WHY is it coming down so soon. I'd
expect it to stay up for another ten years or so. Possible reasons could be
human intervention; elliptical orbit; extremely low mass, but none of these
seem to apply in this case. After all, Bob's PC-sat ain't coming home yet
(or is it ?)

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org