Re: speech compressor for 847

Greg,

Not sure if you have an 817 or not, but if you do, consider this:

Use the FT-817 as your S band IF rig.
Then you can use the FT-847 as the uplink rig and you don't have to have it
in SAT mode.  Then you can turn the processor on and get that punch.  This
is what I have been doing with excellent results.  I have an AO-40 satellite
memory going that I go into whenever I want to change frequency.  I spin the
dial and then tune the 817 to whatever is shown on the VHF side.  Then I got
out of sat mode and enter the uplink into the VCO.  A little cumbersome, but
it works.

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 1/21/03 7:56 PM, Greg LaHaie at greglh@gte.net wrote:

> Has anyone used an outboard speech compressor on the yaesu FT847 for SSB
> use on AO40 with good results?
>
> I seem to lack the 'punch' many other stations have.....wondering if
> adding this feature back into the Yaesu with an outboard device could be
> a big help.  I see several (basically marketed to the Yaesu 817) that
> look interesting. The DYC-817 in particular.

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Life Member: ARRL, NRA
Member:  AMSAT, DXCC