RE: Things burning up

> It is not only Starshine that has that problem. 7 major Optical Telescopes
> were destroyed by fire at Mt Stromlo, ACT, Australia when a forest fire
> engulfed the mountain last weekend. This includes the world's most
accurate
> telescope, the 74" at Mt Stromlo. This observatory has been there since
> 1924.

Not sure I would have called any of the several instruments there "world's
most accurate" but the facility was incredibly productive. Mt Stromlo (along
with the telescope facilities in Chile) in the southern hemisphere allow
viewing the center of our Milky Way galaxy and its two close satellite
galaxies (the Magellanic Clouds). The also "caught" the rare Supernova in
1987.

Here are some web sites with the story:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/scitech/SciTechRepublish_765799.htm,

http://science.slashdot.org/science/03/01/19/0327242.shtml?tid=134,