From: owner-AMSAT-BB@amsat.org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@amsat.org]On
Behalf Of Keith O'Brien
Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2003 5:57 AM
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Who remembers Carl and Jerry ?

It was sad to have read  the following news of the end of the publication of
Popular Electronics magazine. As a 12 year old lad back in the late fifties
studying for my one year, non renewable, 5 word per minute code Novice
license, I read Pop Tronics like it was a bible. I hung on to every word of
every article trying to absorb it all. When a new issue was bought home by
my Dad, I couldn't see it till my homework was all done. My fathers way of
stressing a early life lesson, one of many, in work ethics..

Without a doubt the very first article to be digested were the adventures of
Carl and Jerry. Two kids who used ham radio and electronics to get into and
out of trouble, and solve life problems. For those of you that have no cue
who Carl and Jerry were, try to get your hands on an old copy of PE. It's an
enjoyable read.

The construction articles were second to none.  Every issue had something
for the early electronic tinker to fool with. In fact my first homebrew
radio came from PE along with a resonate end feed wire antenna and tuner.
This was all back in the time when  radios glowed in the dark. I owe a lot
to PE for my early start in ham radio and remember with great fondness those
times.  Keith N4ZQ

* Poptronics ceases publication: Poptronics magazine--which evolved from
the former Popular Electronics and Electronics Now magazines--ceased
publication with the January 2003 edition (Vol 4, No 1). "After 94 years
of publishing electronics magazines Gernsback Publications is no longer
in
operation," said Larry Steckler, Poptronics' editor in chief and
publisher. "Negotiations are under way to provide an alternative
publication to Poptronics subscribers." Steckler says a new on-line
edition of Poptronics will soon be available. Poptronics Interactive, a
separate on-line, paid subscription site announced in the October issue
of
Poptronics, also is scheduled to return soon, Steckler said. The company
plans to post the latest information on its Web site
<http://www.Poptronics.com>. The site has been undergoing "remodeling,"
but Steckler said it should be back in operation by the end of January.
Many veteran amateurs may recall the "Carl and Jerry" stories by John T.
Frye, W9EGV (SK), which appeared in Popular Electronics in the 1950s and
1960s. The tales involved the ham radio-related exploits of a couple of
teenaged hams.