help

Please help a newcomer to A0-40

I am using a 21 turn helix (say 14 db gain) with a DB6NT 2.4 GHz/144 MHz
converter mounted next to it, fixed elevation of 25 degrees, to try to
hear AO-40, but I am hearing nothing but lots of converter noise.
I can hear my test oscillator ok, so it would seem that the rx is ok.

Right now, 1700Z at IO81NR, Instantrack says that it should be at
25 degrees elevation and 157 degrees azimuth, but I am hearing nothing.
I have checked, double checked and checked again the Keps.

I did hear the beacon when the system was first activated many months ago
but I have not been trying since.  Do I need much more antenna gain?
Any sensible suggestions would be appreciated.

Frank Evans GW8AWM