Re: A dish and environment question

Gee Phil...$300 per QSO is pretty grim.  You ought to be making more
contacts than that.  I don't have a computer log, but I know I've worked
over 100 grids on FO-20 and 29 and most of the more populated grids many
times.  Probably 300-400 QSO's since my first Fuji contact in April 2000.
I've honestly only been on a half dozen times when I couldn't find someone
to talk to.  (Here it comes again...) Be sure your receive end is working
well...I occasionally hear stations calling CQ for the entire pass while
other stations try in vain to contact them.  That wouldn't be much fun.

Your question about dish antennas hits the mark exactly.  BUD's are the
antenna of choice for working AO-40, no question, but they are not all that
popular with Neighbors, XYL's, neighborhood associations, etc. to say
nothing of the wind, and weather problems and managing the elevation along
with AZ.

As soon as the weather breaks I hope to get up my barbeque grill antenna and
3733 downconverter.  Not because it is the best possible antenna for the
job, but because I think I can keep it up through the weather and steer it
with my small rotors.  I also have a solid aluminum 5 foot dish which I may
use during the summer from the driveway.  Side by side it looks HUGE
compared to the 1 meter dish.  It also catches a LOT of wind.  Don't try a
4-6 foot dish on Yaesu rotators....that experiment has already been run!

You are right to wonder whether the results are worth the cost.  Most of the
people on this list think it is!  Since AO-40 is working in only a limited
way, however, it really is more complicated to get going than was originally
projected.

Grant Zehr AA9LC