Re: Re: AO-40 AGC study,please read it!

W0FMS wrote:

I bet a lot of those people know they are running too much power and are doing it anyway..... :O(

W9AE replies:

Virtually all of the stations that are "louder than the beacon" have excellent receiving setups.  It's really hard to control someone's ego.  I am sympathetic towards people with marginal receive setups who run 3 dB below the beacon to hear themselves.  Been there, done that...  But I don't understand why people who can hear the transponder noise floor at 20 degrees squint feel compelled to be stronger than the beacon.  Just because they can, I guess.

The "louder than beacon" L-band guys say they aren't affecting the U-band AGC.  This may be true, but they are setting a very bad example which leads to an uplink "arms race" on U-band and leads many people to believe that their marginal receive setups are adequate.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA