Re: AO-40 AGC study,please read it!

There is an FCC requirement to run the minimum amount of power needed for
communication. Instead of a web page hall of shame, how about a friendly
ham-to-ham "Official Observer" type of notification through postal mail,
reminding the offender (in a neighborly way) to turn down the power. Include
the spectrum analyzer plot in the notice.

I don't know if OO's still patrol the HF bands as they did in days gone by but
the idea was to let the other ham know he was in violation before he got a
letter from the FCC.

For future analog satellites, perhaps we could design a fancier AGC that could
divide the passband into 1 KHz segments, notching out each and every signal
that is too strong. Leila can only be in one place at a time.

If we eventually went to regenerating digital transponders there would be no
incentive to run high power, since increasing the uplink power would not
increase the downlink signal.

Dan Schultz N8FGV

Keith N6ORS wrote:

>A QRP evening a week would be great! I have also been able to copy myself
>at less then 1/2 watt on the uplink. Lately the Over use of power on the
>uplink has been so brazen that i have been recording signals on my >spectrum
analyzer and 'tagging' them with callsigns, So before we have to >start a web
page hall of shame maybe some of you guys, (you know darn >well who you are)
will start to get a little reasonable with your uplink >power levels.