Re: Tube questions

The accelerator grid is somewhere between an anode and a grid.  The grid
accelerates the electrons and provides some focusing action.  Yes there is
a loss of efficiency, but a larger area, lower temperature, cathode can be
used.  It is hard to get the same current from a near-point source.

The collector has to operate a voltage higher than the helix or last
electrode in order to attract the electrons in the beam.  If the electrons
just impacted on the collector, the collector would eventually charge up
and repel the beam.  Also, because secondary electrons are emitted when the
main electron beam hits the collector, the field between the collector and
the last electrode has to be high enough to attract these high speed
secondary electrons.  Too low a voltage and the electrons escape and go
places where they are not wanted.  Some TWT's have depressed collectors to
reduce improve the power efficiency.

Yes, such an electron gun can be used in space to shoot electrons.  A
variation on this are the ion propulsion system that ionize heavy atoms and
accelerate them into space.  Small thrusts are produced, but the efficiency
in terms of ISP is higher than chemical rockets.  A problem with electron
or ion guns is charge balance.  As the gun fires more and more
electrons,  the gun develops a higher and higher positive
charge.  Eventually, the charge becomes high enough to attract the
electrons back and there is no net thrust.  To counteract this effect in
ion propulsion systems, there is an electron gun that fires electrons in
the same direct as the ions and at a rate to neutralize the charge.  The
electrons are moving with the ions and are attracted by the ions, which are
then neutralized.

Hope this helps,

John WA4WDL