RE: Cordless phone interference and the law (was:serious S-band Interference problem)

Jon -- commenting on this

> I'm just jumping in on this, and went back to the original post you made.
> thought all 2.4 GHz phones had to be digital spread spectrum.  I am
> surprised that an analog phone is out there.  If I am correct and analog
FM
> is not allowed, I can see why Riley is interested.  There could be a crop
of
> phones that made it into the country that don't pass muster.

Anything is permitted in the ISM (industrial, scientific and medical) -- in
the US, Part 18 ISM includes

13.56 MHz
27.12 MHz
902-928 MHz
2400-2483.5 MHz
5725-5850 MHz
24.00-24.25 GHz

The other legal way to operate without a license is under FCC Part 15 rules.
For an exposition on Part 15 & 18, see
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/part15.html. A very good summary was in
Dec.2001 QST "World Above..." column, which can be fetched from
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/0112082.pdf.

The official rules are available from
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_01/47cfr15_01.html where you will
find this statement:

                       TITLE 47--TELECOMMUNICATION

              CHAPTER I--FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION

PART 15--RADIO FREQUENCY DEVICES--Table of Contents

                           Subpart A--General

Sec. 15.5  General conditions of operation.

    (a) Persons operating intentional or unintentional radiators shall
not be deemed to have any vested or recognizable right to continued use
of any given frequency by virtue of prior registration or certification
of equipment, or, for power line carrier systems, on the basis of prior
notification of use pursuant to Sec. 90.63(g) of this chapter.
    (b) Operation of an intentional, unintentional, or incidental
radiator is subject to the conditions that no harmful interference is
caused and that interference must be accepted that may be caused by the
operation of an authorized radio station, by another intentional or
unintentional radiator, by industrial, scientific and medical (ISM)
equipment, or by an incidental radiator.
    (c) The operator of a radio frequency device shall be required to
cease operating the device upon notification by a Commission
representative that the device is causing harmful interference.
Operation shall not resume until the condition causing the harmful
interference has been corrected.
    (d) Intentional radiators that produce Class B emissions (damped
wave) are prohibited.

In addition to straight FM, you will find the Rabbit and X-10 wireless video
links
(see http://www.x-10.com if you don't mind the pop-up ads)and of course
microwave ovens in the 2450 +/- MHz band .

A good write-up on wireless ISM and Part 15 technology can be found at
http://www-classes.usc.edu/engr/bme/527/Wireless_Networking_Technology.ppt

Tom