RE: AO-40 AGC study,please read it!

Gary Gonnella wrote:

Are you talking about a signal being repeated or are you talking about the
beacon? If it is a signal in the bandpass then it is almost certainly being
caused by a strong signal being repeated. I have spectrum scan running and
quite often see signal that are up to about 6db stronger than the beacon.

Wayne replies:

I'm talking about being in a QSO, when the signal suddenly drops for 30 seconds or so.  Typically, the strength of the station I'm in QSO with is 3-6 dB below the beacon.  Reinhard Richter claims it's always due to LEILA, based on what he sees on his panoramic receiver.  I do have steep IF filters, so I am often affected by the 10 kHz wide LEILA notch when I can't hear the ~3 kHz wide LEILA siren.  Next time it happens, I will immediately tune around more to confirm if there is a nearby LEILA siren.

I don't listen to the beacon for long periods of time, but I've never noticed the beacon level abruptly changing.  I think the beacon strength is relatively immune to AGC affects.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA