Re: serious S-band Interference problem

Hello the Net,

My perspective is a bit different.

The interference you are getting during your licensed ham radio
operations needs to be stopped.

The 2.4 GHz band is not a private band, but a public band, where no one
is entitled to privacy.
The 2.4 GHz ISM band is not like the cellular bands where, by law,
people can expect privacy

As a licensed operation, you have priority over any unlicensed operation
within the ham band.

As a public band, you can record anything you hear. And use it in an
evidentiary role.

A mobile system on 2.4 GHz with a directional antenna can achieve the
ability to locate the nearby offending telephone signals.
The antenna could be the patch feed from your dish or one of the PCB log
periodic antennas available from RAMSEY.
A low noise preamplifier would be helpful to start, but may have to be
removed as you get closer.

A FT-817 with a DRAKE or other receive converter with a 2M IF sounds
like a nice setup.

Use a IF rig that can indicate the signal strength. The hotter the
signal the closer you will be to the offender.

Triangulate the signal line of bearing (LOB) from a few locations. look
for where the LOB's intersect on a map.

I would record the interference, locate the offender, then discuss with
the offender the issue of radio interference
to licensed emergency radio communications.

Most offenders are reasonable and do not know of the interference and
when informed will permanently cease operations.

If the offender does not believe you, play back the tape without
commenting  about the activities discussed on the tape.

Never put yourself in a position where your personal security is
compromised.

Refer all problems to your local RFI/EMI team.

Stan, WA1ECF