Re: N connector failure report

RE:
"The center connector gold tip had been 'splayed' to create the unreliable
connection".

Hi Greg:

The most likely cause of your problem with the female connector's center
contact was that the center pin on the male connector was improperly
installed and it protruded to far.  This is one of the most common mistakes
I have seen over the years when people install "N" connectors, without
properly measuring the length of the center conductor.

The center pin of a male "N" connector should be just below the edge of the
metal shield that surrounds the center pin.  If you press the tip of a
finger on the end of the connector, the center pin should leave only a
slight depression on your finger tip.  If it protrudes beyond the edge of
the metal shield and actually sticks your finger, it will destroy the female
connector's center contact.

Good luck.

73,

Woody