Re:Re: Sun Kepelerians..

Vince Fiscus said:

>Are you the ghost of Claudius Ptolemy? HI
>I've studied this and the mechanics of orbiting bodies.  I'm not an expert,
>but I don't believe you can come up with an element set that will track the
>sun using the algorithms found in our typical amateur radio satellite
>tracking programs.

Vince, I'm sorry but you are wrong about this.  The keps that I posted, or
similar ones, will track the sun quite well.  Even though these are "keps"
from 1995, they agree within a fraction of a degree with my more precise
TrackSM software.  After all, the decay in this system is
negligible!!  This has been covered on this bulletin board many times in
past years.  Obviously, these are "pseudokeps".  The sun doesn't  REALLY go
around the earth, but the model works fine from our perspective here on the
earth's surface, if you assume it does (once a year!).  Only the distance
calculations are off because the mass of our "satellite", ie. the sun, is
most definitely not a negligible component of the system's total mass, as
is assumed with a man-made satellite.

As has also been covered here before, keps for the moon are much more
difficult because the moon's orbit perturbates quite a bit.  There are
complex algorithms typically used to track the moon's orbit.  However, keps
can be generated that are reasonably good for a few weeks.