N connector failure report

Thanks to all for the discussion of N connectors and the proper care and
feeding of same

Today I scaled the 50' tower to find the N connector failure was to the
stationary FEMALE connector mounted on the reflector of my helix. The
center connector gold tip had been 'splayed' to create the unrelaible
connection.

No water or evidence of weather penetration was visible. The coaxseal
was intact. The connectors were firmly mated.

The feedline had not been secured for perhaps 24 inches from the union
and the subtle movement of the male N connector from wind evidently
created the migration of the male tip within the mated connectors,
forcing the female into deformation. It had been in the weather for 18
months.

The replacement female N connector has been mounted to the antenna, and
the new feedline is now secured with 3 inches to eliminate the
possibility of movement.

Thanks to all for the great advice. I learned alot about better caring
for these connectors!

Greg
K7YDL