Re: N connectors-failures?

on 1/9/03 11:45 AM, Greg LaHaie at greglh@gte.net wrote:

> An apparent intermittent antenna connection on my homebrew uplink 70 cm
> helical has me wondering if the female N connectors have a tendancy for
> the junction of the pin/mating socket to fail (due to mechanical stress
> from wind on the cable?)

Generally not.  N connectors are mil-spec and if they are properly cared for
and properly  mated this should not happen.  They are very rugged.

> Anybody had experience with these junctions being problematic? I am
> considering a miniscule amount of conductive grease into the socket tip
> before mating the connectors and wondered if anybody has tried this before?

I wouldn't.  Would probably mess up the impedance.

I wonder if some moisture or something got into the connector or if there
was a problem with it when you assembled the mated pair.

73,

Jon
NA9D