R: Stacking Circular polarized Antennas?

----- Original Message -----
From: Luc Langehegermann <lx2gt@gmx.net>
To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2003 10:13 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] Stacking Circular polarized Antennas?

> Hello,
>
> A Question... Lets say I have 2 helix antennas, and stack them perfectly
> phased vertically. Will the pattern get in this case Elliptacally? (It
> should) So in one direction the radiation angle will get smaller. But does
> this stacking effect axial ratio?
>
> Thanks in advance for any explanation. 73, Luc

Hi Luc,

If the E vectors for both circularly polarized components waves are in the
positive y direction at the same instant than the axial ratio is not
affected but only the array directivity is greater in the vertical plane and
less in the horizontal plane for your stack.

The plain of polarization depends on the phase relation between the two
circularly polarized waves

In order to get the E vectors for both circularly polarized components in
the same positive y direction at the same instant in the plain of
polarization it is necessary that the beginning of  each turn and the end of
each turn of both helices  fall in the space over the same plane of
polarization.

73" de i8CVS Domenico