Re: N connectors vs the rest

My $0.02 (worth exactly that):
Generally it's not losses that get you so much when you "push" a connector,
but the resultant VSWR.  Particularly for low-noise applications, that can
be critical.  Not that losses can't get you too, though.
Reputable manufacturers rate the so-called UHF connector as "good" to
300MHz; BNC to either 8GHz or 12GHz, and N to either 12GHz or 18GHz,
depending upon the exact construction.
The Amp RFX are supposedly all good to 2GHz across the board.
As to online references, your best bet is the connector manufacturers
themselves...amphenol or kings or solectron pop to mind right off...
Another $0.02..."you pay for what you get" when it comes to coax and
connectors, and adapters for that matter.