subaudible tones on FT-847 in satellite mode

Jeff Griffin wrote:

I just tried to work the bird with my 847 I had pl set to 67,
I'm seeing an enc on both sides of the display.I jerked around with the
tone button, double checked that I did have it set to 67 in mem. I'm not
hearing my d/l. So I quickly turn on my D-700, PM to the AO-27 freqs, add a
pl of 67 to the u/l, and worked...
using the D-700 for the u/l 847 for the d/l. So it look's like 847 owners
might have a problem. We will try to work it out...

Wayne replies:

FT-847 subaudible tone encoding is probably accomplished using the audio
DSP.  Unfortunately, the FT-847 software defaults the audio DSP to the RX
path when the radio is in full-duplex mode.  That's why the Speech Processor
doesn't work in satellite mode (the speech processor function is also done
by the DSP).  It's a shame that there is no menu to allow the user to
specify the DSP path (TX or RX) when the radio is in full-duplex mode.

Inflexible DSP path in full-duplex mode is one of several annoying software
"features" of the FT-847.  Others include the excruciatingly slow Sub Tune
speed and the screwed up band switch when FAST tuning mode is selected.
There's also some flaky hardware design such as the AF gain and Mic gain
controls which go from "nothing" to "too high" with a slight movement of the
knob.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA