Problem hearing AO-40

Hi gang,

Well, my satellite antennas including S-band are up in the air finally after
they came crashing down in a windstorm last spring.  I took advantage of
some unseasonably warm weather earlier this week to do this.

Now comes my problems.  You've already read about my rotor issue.  Bottom
line: I am going to get a new rotor.  The AR-22 just won't cut it from what
I've read.  More on that in another post.

OK, I cannot copy AO-40.  I am pointing directly at it right now or as best
I can tell.  W/in a few degrees.  My s-band set-up is a Trans-Systems AIDC
dish and downconverter.  It has been modified with the Murata filter and the
notch filter inside is removed, etc.  The crystal has not been changed so I
should be receiving the satellite around 123 MHz.  It is being powered via
one of the wall wart power inserters sold by K5GNA.  I have checked voltages
up the coax to the converter and it is receiving about 28 volts.

I can hear on my rig (FT-847 and/or an FT-817) a change in noise when I
connect and disconnect the coax to the downconverter.

I am wondering if the downcoverter is working.  I had a friend with access
to test equipment check it out and he said it should be working.  He was not
able to measure conversion gain and all because it's just not accurate
measuring it off the dipole antenna on the unit.  He was trying to find his
N-connector adapter for the downconverter but couldn't find it.  But
according to him, it was downconverting just fine.

So why can't I hear it?  According to my tracking software, as I write the
sat us at 179.71 degrees azimuth and 38.24 elevation and squint of 20.46
degrees and phase of 157.78.  The beacon should be booming in, shouldn't it?
I have no obstructions at this point.

So anyone have any ideas?  I am brand new to AO-40.  The last time I copied
it was after launch when the 2m beacon still worked.

Thanks es 73,

Jon
NA9D