AO-40 K Band success!

Howdy,

I'm happy to report that I successfully copied the beacon via K Band this
evening here in Vermont.

As expected, the signal was _very_ weak. Telemetry indicated that power has
dropped considerably on the K Band TX.

During my successful qso's last year, I was hearing the beacon about 3 S
units above my noise floor. Tonight, the beacon was at the noise floor. I
would estimate a 10 dB drop.

My system consists of a 0.5 meter dish with linear feed. I estimate 36 dBd
gain. I use a DB6NT preamp right at the feed. I estimate system noise figure
of ~ 2 dB. At this point, it may be possible to make a qso via CW. Stay tuned.

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649
Local Area Coordinator