Re: AR-22 Rotor Control Box Question

HI Jon & the group.

This info might help others also.
Regarding the  "clickety click" rotors, there are some differences in the
things.
I have some U-100's and an AR-22 here.  The  cam in the motor unit is
different
in some of the models.  The  U-100's  seem to go about 10 degrees per
click.
THe  AR-22 goes about 5 degrees per click. So you can see mixing up the
control boxes is going to cause a problem with the indicator.  The motor
still
runs and turns the antenna, though.  Also I have U-100's  that are
different
than each other.  I have one that goes about 2 RPM, the others go about 1
RPM.

Another difference between the  U-100 and  AR-22 is the terminals are
reversed on the control boxes.  The Motor on the U-100 is on terminal 1
and 2.
The motor on the AR-22 is on terminal 3 and 4.

I have one U-100 that turns real slow, maybe it's worn out, but the
solenoid
really buzzes loudly while the contact is made, and sometimes it stays
made
for a  long time as the motor turns slowly.

And Greg is right, if the contacts are dirty, set too wide or too close
you'll have
problems with the action of the clicker.  The  U-100's come apart real
easy so
a person can  swap parts around  and make a good one out of two bad ones,
etc.
There are no ball bearings to lose or wear out. They just have a bushing
at each
end of the tube that rotates.

The  CDR/CDE require a little care when you take them apart or the ball
bearings
will fall out or you will lose the position of the top part.

Keeping the antenna and the indicator in the same direction can be
difficult
sometimes.  Fortunately my  satellite antennas are right outside the
hamshack
window, and I can see where the antenna actually is pointed.  This is
very
handy!

I have used the  AR-22 and  older TR-4 (looks the same) on many different
antennas up to a full-sized tri-bander with no problem.  The  TR-4 lasted
about 40 years before needing a little TLC !   Bought it new in 1957 and
took it down in 1997.

73,
John
K6YK