Re: AO-40 Update, 2003-01-01

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 10:20, Estes Wayne-W10191 wrote:
> I've been meaning to ask this questions for quite some time now.
>
> Why does the UL/S transponder switch off at MA200 when signals are still relatively strong?  It seems to me that the transponder is usable by "average" ground stations well past MA200, and probably before MA50.
>
> Is the transponder schedule constrained by the power budget?  Or is the schedule abbreviated to discourage people from using excessive uplink power when the downlink signal is weak?
>
> AO40 has been GREAT lately.  I'm surprised how strong the signals are, even when the squint is 20 degrees.  In addition, for the last several weeks the timing of the passes has been very convenient for most North American operators.
>
> Wayne Estes W9AE
> Mundelein, IL, USA

2.  The beacon is also off during perigee eclipses.  Currently it will
be off from MA = 244 to 2

That was from one of Stacey's previous updates, So that covers most of
the window, if the beacon is off, you can bet the passband will be off
:) The rest of the difference is probably just because its close to
perigee and not all that useful (squint wise and height wise).

--
Ryan Butler <rbutler@tsss.org>
TSSS.ORG