Re: Re: new 5.8ghz cordless phones

Louis<

I am really reluctant to reply...this topic "2.4 GHz spread-spectrum" has
been thrashed to death lately (though maybe not on AMSAT-bb).

At 04:58 PM 12/9/02 -0500, Louis A. Mamakos wrote:
>> Uhuh!
>>
>> And lets not forget that 5760 MHz is the amateur cw/eme frequency!  I guess
>> another mw ham-band bites the dust!  Strange how our ham microwave
>> allocations have been chosen for occupancy by all these "unlicensed"
>> commercial users!  Soon the only freq. left for ham use will be "above"
>> 200-meters...see what our reward is for extending the frontiers of radio!?
>
>Just to play the devil's advocate for a moment; do you believe that hams
>have used the 2.4GHz spectrum to extend the frontiers for radio more than
>the part 15 use of that ISM spectrum?

Short answer...Yes!  Where were the part-15 folks in 1955 when hams were
exploring microwave propagation?  If you really were to research the
subject, you would be amazed how much radio technology was first explored
by hams.  Eliminate ham radio and maybe you kill the spark for the future!

  It's amazing to me to see all the
>neat ways that people are using 802.11b direct sequence spread specturm
>radios.

And how does this benefit hams that are using 2.4 or 5.7 GHz as properly
licensed users?  I refer to the ham who has built his own station from the
ground-up and is working over greater distances for many years before what
the part-15 crowd is just discovering?  Hams have all done this before.
How does this benefit the weak-signal ham who now has to contend with 10 to
15 dB more ambient noise?  How does this benefit Amsat if their expensive
new satellites are rendered unusable?

>The regulatory landscape that's set up encourages a lot of interesting
>activities by industry and end users and while lots of it was just
>plain crap, some really good came from it and resulted in some nice
>technology being available.

For whom?

  And those products have produced a large
>and vocal user base that the FCC and other government agencies will
>find difficult to ignore.

And that makes it right?

>One hope that some have is that the success of these part 15 unlicenced
>products will result in perhaps new ways for the FCC to manage spectrum
>rather than making exclusive assignments to single licensees (think about
>how cellular carriers get access to spectrum).  This in turn might
>reduce the pressure on amateur allocations in the futre.  Maybe.

Boy this last statement is a real reach...I don't buy it.  I see no benefit
to ham radio having their frequencies usurped by unlicensed hobbyist that
have no regard to the damage they inflict on pre-existing services!  The
"new way" FCC manages the spectrum is to give it away, or sell  it to the
highest bidder!  This resembles Class-D CB!  Eleven-meters was once
ham-band, too!

If the part-15 crowd could do their stuff without damaging other services I
might have a different view!  I thought the FCC learned from the CB
scandal...apparently not!  Effective managemanet is "no" management?

I will not debate this further...amsat-bb does not deserve it.

Ed - AL7EB