Re: Newbie questions

Hello David,

Seems like quite a Christmas present you will be getting!

The priority bands for satellite work are 2m, 70cm, and 2.4 ghz.
Depending on the satellite, you may be using the 2m side for
transmit or receive; same for 70cm.  2.4 ghz will be receive only,
for AO-40.  Other 2.4ghz sats should be coming, so it is worth
getting on 2.4 ghz.  The BBQ grill dish will be fine.  I'd trade the
two loop yagis for something else, as they won't have the gain
of the dish.  Some have tried them on AO-40, and I don't believe
I've heard a good report.

The controllers can be manual for now.  Don't try to automate
everything all at once.  You will need the computer to know
where and when the satellites will come by.  Later you can have
it control the rotors and the rig (doppler correction).  I have
full automatic control here, but very often do things manually.
It's not that hard, and telling the computer what to do can be
harder than just doing it yourself.  The Low Earth Orbit birds
work well with fairly blunt antennas, so precision with the
antenna rotors is not necessary.

The first thing to do is probably get the VHF/UHF stuff mounted
and on the air.  UO-14 is currently the "easy sat" to start out with.
Transmit on 2 meters, receive on 70cm, all FM.  So, if you have a
70cm receive preamp, that will help, but it's not essential.  Once
you have UO-14 mastered, try FO29.  This one will get you SSB
experience (tuning is more critical), and the idea of an inverting
transponder (LSB up, USB down).  THEN, give AO-40 a try.
You should have plenty of fun with the LEO birds long enough
to get the 2.4 ghz equipment ready.

I've got a small website that details some of my projects, including
an AZ/EL rotor controller for the Alliance-type motors.  It's at:
http://home.jps.net/~gregd/hamsite.htm

Good luck, and let us know how you're coming, and if you have
any questions.

73s,

Greg  KO6TH