Eagle

Robert McGwier wrote:

I have thought, since the very first time I heard the concept
that it was, and continues to be, a mistake to do a satellite design of
this type without a launch in mind.   If we can't get a Russian or
ESA ride, there will be no ride to elliptical at all since we are not
carrying propulsion.

Wayne replies:

Eagle will be compatible with the Ariane ASAP5 adapter ring which would allow Eagle to be launched as a secondary payload similar to the two small satellites that were launched next to AO40.  It also will have the capability to attach to a Delta rocket.

AMSAT's limited budget forces us to take calculated risks.  If we wait until a launch opportunity is identified, we may not have enough time to build the satellite before the launch.  If we build the satellite before a launch opportunity is known, the satellite may sit for a long time before it gets launched.  The originally planned AO40 launch was a rare situation where the launch opportunity was known many years in advance.

Robin Haighton wrote:

...thanks to Stan Wood AMSAT's VP of Engineering for his E-mail which
correctly pointed out that Mode B is a primary mode of "Eagle" .

Wayne replies:

Stan's message was not posted to amsat-bb.  But thanks for the reassurance.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA