From: Robert Oler [mailto:cvn65vf94@msn.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 2:56 PM
To: ciecier@earthlink.net; al7eb@ptialaska.net
Cc: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: Re: Airline hassles, was Re: [amsat-bb] Hand-carry Arrowantenna?

The main ingredient that is missing in Airport Security is, Common Sense!
If you depend on the fact that the 'screener' can speak and understand the
English Language, and that they can comprehend the basics of  life, as you
explain them, then you will be disappointed!<<

Ed.  This is off topic and should die but I'll add this.

I agree with you that hte problem is lack of common sense.   My suggestion
would be that the problem starts however at a pay grade significantly higher

then the folks who are at the machines.  They are working off a pretty
strict "score card" of what they have to do in terms of additional screening

and what they have to confiscate etc etc.

That "score card" comes from the folks who are GS lots and in some cases
executive appointments.

I am quick to state that there are certianly cases of "junior g man/woman"
and cases of inappropriate behavior (like screening women a little "closer"
then men) the reason we have this insane system is the fault of folks who
sit in the big chairs at the DOT and other buildings in Washington.

Robert