From: "James C. Hall, MD" <nwtncc@iswt.com>
To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 13:37
Subject: [amsat-bb] Newbie observations - UO-14

Hi gang:

I appear to have my antenna act together and have now made some nice QSO's
on a few satellites.  I got on UO-14 on two passes last night - that could
be best described as a free-for-all !  It was very tough to get a few QSO's
in without being overly aggressive.  I managed a two sentence QSO with
Terry, K5OE and counted myself lucky ! I remember reading on the reflector
some discussion about future birds and whether they should include FM or
SSB.  Now, I'm not trying to incite a riot ! But, as a mode, I like FM -
very quiet and easy to understand.  Problem is there is only one frequency.
I like the transponders of the SSB LEO's to 'spread things out'.  Isn't it
possible with the present state-of-the-art to have FM transponders or a set
of channels to facilitate a spreading out of signals ?

Another newbie question - is anybody using a different log or logging method
for sat QSO's ? Presently, I'm just putting them in my general log in Logic
6 and annotating which satellite. I noticed Supercontrol (for the FT-847)
has a separate log, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Jamie
WB4YDL