AO-40 signal strength..

Hi All,

I was working this mornings AO-40 pass, between MA 200-246, and noticed that
both the beacon signal and other station's signals were very strong. The
squint, according to the latest info of ALON/ALAT 53/30, ranged from 37 down
to about 20 degrees during this period at my location.

The consensus from everyone that I talked to was that the signals were much
stronger than the apparent squint info would suggest. In fact toward the end
of the pass I was down to about 1 watt of uplink power on L1, which I
normally only get down to when the squints are below 10 degrees.

So, to the question;  is the current alon/alat info in fact correct, or has
everyone upgraded their stations to 30 foot dishes while I wasn't looking,
hi..?

Standing by with bated breath for enlightenment...

regards,

Roy VE7BPB
Vancouver